The Art Reference Library (ARL) which was inaugurated by the then President of the Centre, Mr. Soli J. Sorabjee, on 1 August 2014, housed in the upper basement of the Kamaladevi Complex, has now been shifted to the newly created space adjacent to the Main Library overlooking the fountain lawns. The newly constructed and aesthetically designed ARL was formally inaugurated by Dr. Kapila Vatsayayan, Chairperson, International Research Division, IIC on May 2, 2019. Dr.Vatsayayan was flanked by Shri N N Vohra, President, IIC; Shri Soli J Sorabjee, Chairman, Library Committee; Shri K N Shrivastava, Director, IIC; Secretary, IIC; Heads of Departments and the regular users to the Library.
The collection of 1,400 books, magazines, art catalogues, posters and pamphlets cover subjects like architecture, ceramics, conservation, drawing, fashion, furniture design, glass work, jewellery, metal work, paintings, photography and sculpture, textiles, folk art, handicraft and iconography to name just a few. It also has about 200 books on cookery, some donated by Mrs Bhicoo Manekshaw, whose association with the Centre dates back to 1973 to the time of her passing away in 2013. It is to her that we owe the very popular cookbook published by the IIC in collaboration with Niyogi Books entitled Secrets from the Kitchen: Fifty Years of Culinary Experience at the India International Centre.
Six hundred books have been taken from the main collection of the IIC. Others have been donated by members and the Programme Division. We especially thank Dr. Kapila Vatsyayan for donating books from her valuable collection, and Mrs Usha Malik for giving us books from Shri Keshav Malik’s rich collection, including his own works. We are also grateful to the Foundation of Museum of Modern Art (FOMA), Karachi, who have donated over 78 books. FOMA is an independent Trust whose main aims are to promote the study of art in its historical and contemporary contexts, and set up museums of modern and contemporary art and art libraries.
The Art Library will be accessible to all members between 9 am to 8 pm on all working days, from 10 am to 5 pm on Sundays and declared holidays. This is a reference library only and books cannot be issued out. There is a comfortable area to sit back and enjoy this growing collection of books.
Art Reference Library (ARL) Rules:
- The timings of the Art Reference Library (ARL) are 9.00 am to 8.00 pm. The ARL will remain closed on 6 national holidays (26th January, 15th August, 2nd October, Dussehra, Diwali and Holi)
- Members, staff of the centre and temporary members registered to use the main library are eligible to consult the ARL;
- Books and other material of the ARL can be used as reference within the premises of the Library;
- Photocopying, printing and scanning facilities are available in the main library. Members are requested to inform the library staff of their requirements, who will make necessary arrangements to get the work done and collect the payment as fixed from time to time;
- Members may use the ‘Recommendation Slip’ available with library staff to suggest new titles. If the suggested book is approved by the Library Committee, the staff will inform the member accordingly;
- All Inter-Library Loan requirements and its use will be handled by the main library;
- The Library reserves the right to introduce any change in the rules as they deem fit.