The following services are extended by the Library:
1. Reading Room
- Strict silence should be observed in the Library. Library-Reading-Room-small
- Use of the cell phone is not allowed in the reading room.
- Members will be charged Rs. 100 every time their cell phone rings in the library. Any Member who is penalised three times will be liable to suspension of the Membership of the Library.
- Tables for researchers cannot be reserved. No books, papers, etc. should be left on these tables.
- A Member should hold only one newspaper or journal for reading at a time and replace it in position after use.
2. Borrowing Facility
The eligible members can avail the borrowing facility as per the library rules. Kindly go through the Library Rules for details.
3. Access to Internet and Wi-Fi
INTERNET facility to Members and Residents is available in the Library free of charge. The members can use their own laptop within the library premises and can also avail the Wi-Fi facility free of charge. The members can get the printout at a price of Rs. 2 per page.
4. Access to E-Resources and JSTOR
- Library has online access to some of the periodicals received in print form. Members can access them using the Library’s internet facility. Online Journals
- Library has also installed an E-Book Management Software “Calibre” which can be used to access open access books and articles downloaded from time to time. Members can access the “Calibre” using the Library’s Internet facility. E-Books on Calibre Software
- Public Domain Resources: Online International Newspapers
- The library has subscribed to JSTOR, an online resource for archived academic journals in the field of Arts & Science, Ecology, Language, Literature, Music and Social Sciences. Members can access the JSTOR using the Library’s Internet facility.
5. Interlibrary Loan (back to list of Library Services)
- Limited facilities for Inter-Library Loan are available for members who are using the Library regularly.
- Such books will have to be used only at the IIC Library.
- Members can search DELNET’s online database through a terminal at the Reference Desk.
- DELNET’s special inter-library loan facility can be availed of by Members. Books obtained through inter-library loan are not for issue and must be consulted in the library itself.
6. Bibliographic Service on Demand (back to list of Library Services)
- Members can demand a bibliography out of the collection available on Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC). While the soft copy of such a bibliography can be given free of charge, the print out of such a bibliography can be availed at Rs. 2/- per page.
7. Access to CDs/ DVDs (back to list of Library Services)
- DVD’s and CD’s will be issued out to Members for quiet use in the Library and also issued out on loan for a fortnight
- A Member using a CD /DVD in the Library must return it to the Library’s Reference Desk before leaving .
- DVD’s and CD’s should be handled with care. In case of damage, Members will have to replace them.
8. Access to Assistive Technology including Kindle (back to list of Library Services)
The following assistive technology products are available at IIC Library:
- Optelec'sClearView + Desktop Video Magnifier system magnifies anything under the viewfinder from 2 to 50 times its original size, always maintaining perfect focus.
- SuperNova Access Suite from Dolphin gives three ways to access Windows applications. The user can choose what works best for him/her -- magnification, speech, Braille or a combination of all three.
- Dragon speech recognition software makes it easier for anyone to use a computer. You talk, and it types.
- PlustekOptibook 3600 Bookedge Scanner.
Members can use Kindle facility which is an e-book reader. It is a Wireless Reading Device, developed by Amazon.com for the rendering and displaying of e-books and other digital media.
9. Library Cubicles (back to list of Library Services)
The Library has six cubicles which are rented out to members for quiet reading. Photocopying and scanning facilities are available on payment. The Members can also avail limited Inter-Library Loan facilities.
- The Library cubicles can be rented out only to the Member-Scholars of the Centre keeping in view the importance of their projects and the availability of material on their projects in the Library.
- While submitting the application for allotment, the member will submit a write up of one or two paragraphs on the project for which they wish to utilise the cubicle.
- The current rental for each cubicle is Rs 800 per month plus service tax charges as applicable from time to time.
- The maximum period for which a cubicle can be rented out by a Member is four months.
- Each cubicle is meant for quiet study by one person only.
- Personal books can be brought in only with the permission of the Librarian. A list of such books should be deposited at the Counter.
- Books from Special collections such as ‘India Collection’, ‘Himalayan Club Collection’ and “Bilgrami Collection’ ‘Walter Sykes George Collection’ and ‘C.D. Deshmukh Collection’ are not allowed to be taken inside a cubicle for consultation.
- A maximum of ten books can be issued for use in the cubicle for a fortnight at a time and may be renewed provided there is no reservation for them.
- No reference book will be allowed to be kept in the cubicle.
- Smoking is strictly prohibited in the cubicle.
- The consumption of tea, snacks and meals is not permitted in the cubicle.
- Guests are neither to be brought in nor entertained in the cubicle.
- The Library will retain one key of the cubicle for emergency purposes.
- A Member who does not use the cubicle continuously for 30 days will forfeit the right to use it for the rest of the allotted term unless he / she informs the Librarian in writing and allows him to transfer it, if possible, to a needy Member for the period of his absence.
- A Member who has released the cubicle to be used in his absence cannot claim the extension of the term for the period he remains absent, nor the Member to whom it is offered in the interim period.
- A Member who is allotted a cubicle should not allow it to be used by another person in his absence. If he does, his allotment will be cancelled with immediate effect.
- The Centre will not be responsible for any thefts or losses that may occur during the use of a cubicle by a Member.
10. Library Lockers (back to list of Library Services)
The Library has six lockers which can be rented out only to Members using the reading room facilities regularly in connection with their research or writing work.
- The current rental for each locker will be Rs 50 for 15 days.
- The period for which a locker can be rented out is fifteen days. Further extensions may be allowed subject to there being no other applicant on the waiting list.
- Each locker must be used for keeping the Member’s published books and research notes, and nothing else.
- The payment of the rental bill must be paid in advance before taking possession of the locker.
- The Library will retain one key of the locker for emergency purposes.
- The Centre will not be responsible for any thefts or losses that may occur during the use of a locker by a Member.
11. Photocopying and Scanning Facility (back to list of Library Services)
The photocopying facility is available in the Library for members at Rs. 1 for Black and White A4 exposure & Rs. 2 for A3 exposure; Rs. 10 for A4 and Rs. 20 for A3 colour exposure, per page.Currently the scanning facility is also available in the Library for members at Rs. 15 per page.Computer Printouts (Black and White) can also be available on the charges of Rs. 2 per page.